Youth Worker Network: Leadership
Met with the Black Hills Youth Worker Network at our new gathering place — the Alternative Fuel Coffee House — this morning. I left so encouraged… I really got a lot out of today: real stories from real youth workers, inspiring thoughts on leadership, and a lot of laughs!
The book we read for this month was “The Next Generation Leader” by Andy Stanley. A great, if quick, read on the subject. The discussion was so good (mostly on the subject of “competency”) that we never got on to discuss the other four leadership areas that Andy writes about in the book.
SOME OF MY FAVORITE DISCUSSION FROM THIS MORNING:
– a well rounded leader? a false myth…
– everybody should be focussed and functioning in the area that they are most gifted naturally
– find leaders to fill in on areas of your weakness
– when you delegate leadership out, don’t micromanage! (delegating tasks, but not giving them authority)
– casting vision within your culture
– I attribute my ministry success to my senior pastors
– take advantage of leadership freedoms that you have
Next month’s topic is: HOW TO DEVELOP AND SET LEADERS IN PLACE
The book that we’re going to collectively read and discuss at next month’s gathering is “S.H.A.P.E.” by Erik Rees.