Yeah, this might be a little self-absorbed, but it’s also a pretty popular way to learn more about your friends and family online. In fact, for those of you that are on the Online Missions Trip, this could be a great way for you to share your faith with your friends. Here’s what I just posted on my Facebook profile…
Okay… I’ve only been tagged about 25 times to do this already, so HERE GOES>>>
1) I’m a pastor to students at Destiny Foursquare Church in Rapid City, SD. I’ve been doing youth ministry full time for 9+ years now and absolutely love it! Check out our youth ministry site at http://elevationgeneration.org and our student blog at http://elevatingageneration.org.
2) Deanna and I have been married since March of 1997. That’s almost 12 years now. We married when I was nineteen. I feel like the most blessed husband in the entire world. She’s amazing and continues to make me fall head-over-heals for her on a daily basis.
3) Our firstborn, Bella, is going to turn seven-years-old this month. 7-YEARS-OLD! I can’t believe it! Autumn is 14, Cynthia is 12, and Mikella is 4. Yup, that’s four — count ’em — FOUR girls…and I love them all so deeply! They are my joy.
4) I love music. I’ve been performing on stage since my early junior high years. The name of the first band I played in was the politically incorrect-named “Dakota Pale Cats” (an all-white-boy hip hop group)!
5) Since then I’ve played on stage with lots of amazing musicians at lots of incredible events. It’s one of my favorite things to do and some of my best memories come from the stage. Performing somehow transforms me from the introvert-at-heart to release the more exuberant, flamboyant extrovert hiding inside of me. Here’s some raw video footage of my last live performance (leading student worship at the New Year’s Eve Teen Blast): http://shoupfamily.blip.tv/#1639631.
6) My middle name is Michael and my last name is Shoup. It’s NOT pronounced “Shoop”; it’s pronounced “Shop”.
7) My cat Suki just passed away last month. He was about 12-years-old. So sad. :(…
8 ) It’s probably no secret, but I love designing/creating things. I put together a family web site at http://youthpastors.net and a music/outreach page at http://shawnmichael.org. I do stuff like this mostly because I enjoy the development process.
9) I also dabble in a lot of entry-level graphics/video editing. I do most of the design work for all of our student ministry’s events and videos and I have a great time doing it.
10) Ummm… I’m a Internet 2.0 junkie. I love the connectivity and new relationships that I’ve found through blogging, Facebook, and Twitter. Twitter rocks!
11) Come to think of it, you should follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/shawnmichael. 😉
12) Speaking of blogging… I started a couple years ago in May and now have an average readership of about 100 unique visitors a day (at http://elevatingageneration.org). I know that doesn’t put me in the “big leagues” or anything, but I really enjoy sharing my thoughts, “good finds”, and life-in-general with others.
13) I also have a somewhat-long list of blogs that I like to read through each day. I use Google Reader. There’s so much good content out there and so many gifted writers. I’ve feel so connected with so many youth workers and pastors because of the blog-world. What a unique and exciting community.
14) I’m taking part in and helping to facilitate 3,000+ students that are on an Online Missions Trip this week. Check out all the details here (it’s a pretty cool concept): http://elevatingageneration.org/online-missions-trip.
15) In two weeks, our youth ministry will be doing our big, annual Valapalooza event. It’s a Valentine’s event/fundraiser to help raise monies for our student ministry. It’s always a blast. Last year, I worked up a crazy, “spoofy” dance for Deanna. You can watch it here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=8880806591. (Okay, so it’s probably a stretch to actually call THAT dancing. LOL!)
16) One of the funnest video promos I’ve ever done is also tied into last year’s Valapalooza event. Check this out (hilarious!): http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=8150761591.
17) I don’t like crowds. I like people, but I’d much rather be with people in small group settings than in a crowd. I get overwhelmed easily. I totally prefer connecting on a one-to-one basis. Meeting over lunch or for coffee with friends is a favorite thing for me to do.
18 ) Before I met Deanna (and she broke me out of my shell), I was the quiet kid in high school that never talked to anyone unless first spoken to — very shy, timid, and quiet. I’ve come a long ways, but it’s still a stretch for me to go up and introduce myself to new people. I do it as a learned behavior; not something I’m a “natural” at.
19) I really enjoy connecting people. I facilitate a network of youth workers here in Rapid City that meets on a monthly basis at the Alternative Fuel Coffee House. You can see what we’re up to by visiting http://rapidcityyouth.com.
I also am a Facebook match-maker. I use the “suggest new friends” feature a lot and connect a lot of people here on Facebook. You can thank me later. ;p
20) I recorded and release a solo pop/rock effort of songs that I wrote mostly in junior high and high school. You can hear previews here: http://web.mac.com/shawn.shoup/Shawn_Michael/Music.html. I’ve been wanting to write and record new music for quite some time now, but just can’t seem to find the time. Big bummer.
21) Jesus Christ is my personal Savior. I owe Him all that I am and I’d love to talk with you about Him if you’d like to know more.
22) I officiated my first funeral this past January (in 2008). It was for my Uncle Walt, whom I loved very much.
23) Which brings to mind my HUGE extended family. My Dad comes from a family of 6 (brothers and sisters) and Mom from a family of 13. That = lots and lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, and whatever-elses! It’s hard to keep up with them all sometimes!
24) I love life! I believe that I’ve lived a very full and very complete life. I can’t imagine it getting much better than this. God has definitely been gracious to me.
25) I love my parents, Liz and Dennis, so much. They’ve given so much of themselves to see me succeed. I’ve always felt loved and never neglected. It’s an amazing feeling to have such loving, caring parents.
K, your turn. Tag! You’re it!